The Thankful Project Day 10: A Memory | Kylea & Company: The Thankful Project Day 10: A Memory
 photo Header_zps12bc1577.png

Sunday, November 10, 2013

The Thankful Project Day 10: A Memory

I stumbled upon the blog Chasing Happy and her thankful project. I am not normally one to vocally express all of the things that I am truly thankful for. But after reading Kenzie's I became inspired to start writing my own. 


Today is about a memory that you are thankful for. 
A memory that I am thankful for, yet scared of is one that happened earlier this year. I had been admitted into the hospital on January 4th with a small case of what they thought was pneumonia. And prior to my regular nurse Deb leaving, she looked at me and said that something else was brewing. And boy was she right. Within 8 hours, I went from being able to breath on my own with a little help because I was panicky to having to be intubated and knocked out. 

My memory comes from when we found out, that I was not going to be able to breathe on my own. I had a swarm of nurses and doctors by my bed, asking me a series of questions all at one time. And then one that I knew I needed to be asked. Do you want us to call your grandpa? 

From there they gave me a sedative to try and put me under so that they could put in a line and intubate me. Little did they know, that even though my eyes were closed and I could not move I was not under, and I was still very much awake. I remember the pain from them putting in the line, and me just thinking and screaming to my body to make some sort of movement. Anything to let them know that I could feel it, that I was still conscious. I could smell the tart and tangy smell of the Iodine, and heard the doctor saying that it was in place. I was finally able to get my eyes to flutter, and heard Deb's reassuring voice. The next three days were very much drug induced and a lot of sleeping. But after that, I don't think I minded. 


It is a scary memory for me, but one that has affected me greatly. And for that I am thankful. Because of that moment, I knew that any breathe that I took from that point on needed to be worth something. I prayed to god to help, and it was a prayer that had been answered. 





No comments:

Post a Comment