The Sea Fairer, the Scientist, The Radio Personality, and The Writer | Kylea & Company: The Sea Fairer, the Scientist, The Radio Personality, and The Writer
 photo Header_zps12bc1577.png

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

The Sea Fairer, the Scientist, The Radio Personality, and The Writer


As a child I was told I could be anything in the world that I wanted to be. Little did my parents know, I was and still am, known as one of the most in decisive people. Like ever. And have since then listened to their non helpful advice and changed my mind too many times to count. But as a child I knew I wanted to be cool. 

So there I was a little prepubescent Kylea, with big hopes and aspirations to become something totally wicked that would put all of my little elementary school friends to shame. You see, they all wanted to be your typical fire fighters and ballerinas. 

PPPSSSHHHHHTTTT!!!! I knew that I could not succumb to the normality of just being a fire fighter or a ballerina. I was a unique individual, therefore I needed a kick ass job to match my fantastic personality. So I pondered and pondered and pondered some more.... 

A MARINE BIOLOGIST! I had no clue what the heck that job entailed, but man did it sound cool! Yep I was going to be a marine biologist. I mean I love whales and the ocean. What could be cooler than getting to swim with animals all day? And then the whole Steve Irwin thing happened; damn dream crusher is what that was. It all became so real that, I had to swim with the animals; and that the animals could kill me. Because as cool as it is to swim in a cage surrounded by sharks, somewhere in the back of your brain you think about what would happen if the cage door opened... No more Nemo is what would happen. But being the stubborn little person I am I told myself that Steve there was an idiot, I mean he wrestled freaking crocodiles. This would never happen to me. 

Well somewhere between Marine Biologist and the Steve Irwin debacle, the sperm donor (aka male who impregnated my mother) started getting it into my brain to become a bad ass rocket scientist. It all started with my love for X-Men and the SR-71 Blackbird that their plane was modeled after. I thought of myself as Jean Grey; smart, telekinetic, and smoldering hot. Even though I was a semi chunky, glasses wearing, short blonde with miss matched clothing; in my head I was smoking. 
For those of you wondering what Jean Grey looks like. 

Well Spermy there said, "you know you are smart enough you could build a plane like that some day. You could be a rocket scientist." 

Sold. I would be the best damn rocket scientist/ marine biologist this world had ever seen. When I had my high school reunion, those bullies would be in aw of my jobs, that they would then idolize me and I would be the talk of the party. But like all dreams, it died a horrible death when I entered junior high and started Algebra. I would rather be stung by a million bees than to keep trying to do that crap. Who cares where X is and Y? (badum bum ppsshhhttt) 

But you know what was really popular in my youth... mix-tapes. OH YEEAAAA!!! I was killer at making mix-tapes, not only because I hit the song perfectly at start and at finish, but because I added my own personal flare to it. Yup.. I could become a radio dj, and mix music for all of my adoring fans out there; who had previously known me as the kick ass rocket scientist marine biologist. But that dream quickly died when nobody, and I mean nobody told me that I had a face for radio, I thought it was a job requirement. Like yea, that guy that guy has the face for radio; he knows his crap. Little did I know. 

So as I went through my short and chunky, mismatched clothing, mix-tape making days I read. Not like, school required reading either; more like finish The Deathly Hallows in two days type reading. I read so much, that my mother would purposely ground me from books to make me slow down. And when you read your imagination goes wild. Well mine must have gone bat crap crazy because I had thought of a new job title. 

Writer. Which, I guess I have never truly given up on. Writing has always been a passion that I have wanted to pursue, although the chances of actually making it as a successful writer seem to be that of the same Steve had when he was killed by that sting ray.  You never know though, I could still blow the unfortunate minds of my elementary school friends, by writing a best selling novel that stays on the NY Times list for over a year because it is riveting and mind blowing.  

What did you want to be as a kid when you grew up?


 photo Untitledjpg_zps0ea56517.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Haha I love this. I think deep down I always knew I wanted to be a teacher. Other jobs that did/do cross my mind: lawyer, CSI agent, architect, interior decorator/designer, travel agent, wedding planner, event planner, photographer, college admissions/student affairs... Still pretty sure that being a photographer for National Geographic would be the coolest job ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I started watching Extreme Makeover Home Edition, I wanted to be on the show for my job. I also wanted to be a singer or actress like most kids go through. Those are the only ones I remember!

    ReplyDelete