Working from Home | Kylea & Company: Working from Home
 photo Header_zps12bc1577.png

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Working from Home

If you didn't know, I never really get to take an actual vacation. Sometimes I do not mind this, but there are times were I would like to  be able to take a day off without coming in to 750 new emails. A good compromise that my boss has is that we get to work from home. Yes, I am still working but I have the freedom to work in the buff should I choose. Which I don't, but I like knowing I have the option. I thought instead of some meaningless post, I would spin this into actually working by sharing what I need when I work from home. 


I need music! 
A lot of people assume that working from home really means that you get to watch hours of TV. While you can turn on the tv, I don't recommend it. You are easily too distracted to what is going on, even if it's reruns of CSI. So turn on your ipod, stereo, or turntable to your favorite jams. It allows you to keep focus on work while still having background noise; and dance to N'Sync without being judged. 

I have to get dressed. 
Don't sit in your pajamas, it is not helping you to be a productive adult. I don't mean get business casual dressed, but take a shower and put clothes that wouldn't embarrass you to go out in.  Your production will thank you for it, and possibly the dog too. 

I always walk away. 
Don't stay glued to the computer screen all day. You don't when you are in the office, so don't at home. I suggest leaving at 10 am and 2pm, and taking a 45 to a 1 hour break. I take a nap in the morning and run an errand in the afternoon.  but I come back feeling more focused.  Plus I can spread my work out all day and feel more organized. 

A little goes a long way, in my books. 
DO NOT over compensate having to show that you are working by sending your boss an email every 15 minutes. It will annoy him or her. You know how much I have talked to mine this week? 4 texts worth, and all about our companies new Instagram page. So just don't. If they need to know what you did, make notes or a to do list and then email it to them or hold on to it until the end of the day. Do one big recap. Otherwise, they should trust you to know that you are going to do your work. 

A space of my own. 
I always need a space that is strictly dedicated to work. It needs to be comfy and away from distractions. You need a place to focus on what you are doing, so that you can get the most done while not in the office. 

Who else gets to work from home? What tips would you give? 
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment