Things people my age should know, but don't. | Kylea & Company: Things people my age should know, but don't.
 photo Header_zps12bc1577.png

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Things people my age should know, but don't.

So we are in the day and age of technology, but a lot of the kids that are in their early twenties or younger have apparently gone stupid. I had to learn things to survive. Will I do them myself, not necessarily, but I know how.

This whole ordeal was all brought up by a shipper (person who moved) through my company, who quite honestly had been jipped when he thought he was buying this classic car. To him it was the tits, to us.... it was crap. Well he thought that there was only 20k miles on this 1976 classic car. I had to make a point that there was 200k miles on the car and that 5 people (all older than me) did not know how to read an odometer.

So kids, Learn how to read your odometer! Look at it to see how many miles you have on it, not just how many miles you get per tank. That's great if you are planning to go on a trip and want to see how many miles you are going to get before you need to fill up. But what is the point if you are doing your normal daily driving? Just saying.

Learn how to change a tire. I am not saying become part of a pit crew and learn how to change those suckers like a pro, but at least be able to know how to change it while your stuck on the side of the freeway or already 15 minutes late to work.

Learn how to use tools. Thankfully the only power tool that I know how to use is a drill and that is more for my safety because I am a klutz sometimes. But I know the difference between a phillips head and a flat head screw driver. If something minor breaks, I can fix it. Plus it gives you ample opportunity to learn how to do all of those DIY projects you have pinned to pinterest.

Learn how to balance a checkbook. Now this is one thing that I am glad technology stepped in for. But you should still know how to do it by hand. Just think... if one of these apps ever gets hacked. BAM there goes all of your information to your bank, your credit cards, the names of your parents, and your first child. Paper ones don't cheat on you like that. They will love you unconditionally until your bank account tells you that you have spent too much at Target.

Learn how to write your resume AND a cover letter. I am getting to hire someone and well now I have started looking over resumes. But if your resume doesn't come with a cover letter, well then see yah later alligator. It is something that I picked up from my friend V. People will send out resumes in the masses, but when they stop to do a cover letter, that is well written and focused to your company, it means that they actually took the time to look at the job and at the company. And that means that they are worth your time to look at and call.

Which leads me to the last bit of my ranting glory.
Learn how to select a job. A lot of people my age are scared to get into an office position. They don't know how or have the job skills to do so, and often it's no harder than retail. I have a number of friends that have applied to Target so many times that they can't apply anymore. So try for a small company that needs a receptionist or admin. Learning how to select a job, even in retail, is not very complicated. Just do your research! Look up the companies website, pull them up on LinkedIn. See what their values or employees look like. If you go into an interview, show that you want to grow by asking what their employee growth plans are, or if they have management training programs. ASK the smokers sitting outside what they think of the company. And then you schmooze your way into that office. In one way or another. Even ask if they would like an intern. And once you get that job, try and stick with it for two years. if you love your job it's easy, but even if you hate it staying around for 2 years is going to look better on your resume than a year here and a year there.

I am done ranting now.
Coffee break time.




No comments:

Post a Comment