N is for: Necessity | Kylea & Company: N is for: Necessity
 photo Header_zps12bc1577.png

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

N is for: Necessity

There is a simple truth in saying that I am not a shopper of necessity. Meaning, my trip to Target for shampoo results in $80 worth of unnecessary items. None of which were the shampoo that I needed. I am not the only one, right?? 
So then I tell myself that I am going to budget, and proceed to go hardcore on Mint.com planning out every month. Please notice how I am $75 past my budget this year (My restaurants budget rolls over). I literally freaked out and stopped going out for 3 weeks. 

So then once I am done editing all of my goals for Mint.com, then I bust out a detailed spreadsheet of how much I can spend per month on gas, groceries, and coffee. It is even as detailed as to include how much in cash, including change and my precious $2 bill. 

By then I am so depressed/amazed that I was able to afford my Electric bill last summer, that I am in a state of panic. I start meticulously planning meals, and what houses I sit that I am going to earn money, and then I look at ones that are only going to pay my gas budget. I also have now began budgeting out blogging items. My panic is reflected to my friends when I start saying that I can not go out. And why can't I go out, not because I don't have the money but because I am past my budget. 

Yesterday, I realized that although we may think we need something out of necessity, we don't. There are tasks that we need to do whether we want to or not. I need to update my resume, I like where I work and don't want to update it. But in the end, I don't plan on working here forever. I need to budget like this, but i certainly don't want to.  But I do not need $80 worth of items from Target. Only the $3 bottle of shampoo. So I have started to resort back to my methods of madness, but not as meticulous. I am implementing the budget tested, mother approved "whimper and scream" method of shopping. 

Here's how it works: 
When you pick up that random item in the home decor, or fitness section of Target; because let's face it those items will never be used, rate the item as one of the following. 

Scream: I HAVE TO HAVE THIS NOW!!! And then logically tell yourself what you are going to use it for, and why spending the money on it is justified. Any item that is originally on your list is a scream, i.e. that bottle of shampoo. 

Shouting: It caught your eye and you really like it. Ask yourself, will I really use this? When or what will I use it for? If you cannot answer that it goes to a whimper, put it back on the shelf. If it still peaks your interest, hold on to it. 

Whimper: This is an OOOOO SHINY item. Look at it, come to the reality that it is going to be donated to goodwill in 6 months and put it back. You don't need it. 

Now before you go to the register, look through your cart again. This is where I find myself putting a lot of stuff back. Separate the items you truly need, and look at the shout and scream items. Do you really need them?  Or do you want them? There is a difference. If they are things you want, maybe pick one item that you want the most and put the rest back. Don't deny yourself something awesome, because then you will go on a shopping binger; those don't help anyone. 

What are techniques you use to keep your spending in control? 

________________________________________________________________________
Drink of the day: 
(FYI it is extremely hard to find a drink that you can say all of the ingredients that starts with an N) 

Pierced Fuzzy Navel 
1 oz Peach Schnapps 
1 oz Vodka 
3oz Orange Juice 
1 dash Grenadine 
Ice 


post signature

2 comments:

  1. I am so horrible about buying things. I can't wait for my boyfriend to move in with me because I'll finally stop buying things. He's so good with money, and I never have been. I am definitely guilty of screaming "I HAVE TO HAVE THIS NOW!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the worst at budgeting! I buy things just because I want it way too often!

    ReplyDelete